Tuesday, June 30, 2009

My Mission Revisited -- June 1999

By this time I was really started to get a good feel for the language, to the point that I was really starting to enjoy the people of Basel. Elder Bohm and I were getting along great and had just found out that we were going to be together for another month. This was a great time in my mission. Elder Bohm was one of my favorite companions. The journal entry below is from a really fun day I had with the ward in Basel.
June 20, 1999 -- Basel, Switzerland
Wow, I've been writing in my journal pretty regularly lately. I think it's because everything is going so great right now and I don't want to forget to write it all down. Yesterday the Basel Elders (Bohmie and I) and the Sisters from Bottmingen (Sisters Dougall, Little and Niederhauser) went on a hike with our ward. It was sooooo cool. We hiked all the way into Germany where we got to a really cool look out point and had a barbeque. I felt like I was at home. It was so great and so wonderful.
All of us sang Swiss folk songs around the fire, played some Fuessball (soccer) and just really enjoyed each other's company. It was a good change of pace in this missionary work. I've realized how important it is to feel like a normal human being every now and then. I love being a missionary, but it was also really nice to do a normal "ward member" activity.
Today was cool. One of our best investigators, Herr Arnosti came to church and things went really well with him. Plus I gave a talk today in sacrament meeting in German! Wow, it was hard, but cool at the same time. Well tomorrow Elder Bohm and I are heading to Missionsrat (Mission Conference) in Zurich. I'm sooo happy, I love Missionsrat! Well, anyways, that's all for now. The gospel's true, I love it!
--Elder Q

No comments: