Wednesday, February 11, 2009

10 Year Mission Anniversary!

I can't believe it, but it is true, 10 years ago (February 17th, 1999) I entered the MTC and started my mission to Switzerland!  I like to think that I've grown up a lot since then.  A prime example of my maturity level back then is the fact that I postponed my entry date for the MTC until after the Superbowl because I had to watch the Broncos win their 2nd championship.  Ahhhh, yeah, my focus was definitely a lot different back then!  

I can honestly say though that my mission more than any experience I've had in my life, propelled me towards maturity and helped me get to the point where I could start a family and be the person that I am (even though I still have a TON of room for improvement!).

So... that being said, I want to do something to help me keep my focus on what I learned on my mission.  I hope that what I'm going to do will be entertaining for those of you who read this blog as well.  What I'm going to try to do is every month for the next 2 years, post pictures and a journal entry from my mission journal which correspond with a similar time of year 10 years ago!  It should give you guys a good glimpse into my mission and should help bring back some good memories for me! Anyways, I hope this doesn't get too dull... here's my first entry:

February 18th, 1999
MTC -- Provo, UT

The first big day in the MTC is over, and it leaves me with mixed emotions.  I struggled today with the language and even though we haven't learned a lot I already feel behind.  My companions are great and hopefully their patience with me will be everlasting.  They are both great Elders and I really look up to them.  I must keep trying and not get down on myself or frustrated.  After all, this is the Lord's work and as I said during my farewell talk, this is great work!

I miss my family.  I guess you never know what you have until it's gone.  This is only my second day in the mission and I'm just a little bit lonely.  It's funny to think about what I miss about my family, but mainly it's their faces and noises and just the knowledge that they are there.  I pray that the Lord will take care of them.

I am blessed.  The Lord has blessed me with 2 great companions and now I just need to focus on my life here, even though that's a hard thing to do.  I know the Lord will stand by me and help me, this belief keeps me going, it's all that I have right now to keep me going!  This is truly a humbling experience.

Elders Q, Shurtliff and Sadler
Elder Q
Our District!  Elders Shurtliff, Sadler and I were the only ones going to Switzerland.  Everyone else in our district went to Germany.

2 comments:

Amy and the Huskies said...

Wow, 10 years, that's hard to believe! Cool pictures and a good idea for your blog. :)

Strawberry Shortcake said...

What a cool thing to do to remember. You were so little! Isn't it strange to believe you can remember 10 years back (I can remember much more... so scary). It is wonderful that you kept a journal. I am hoping that my blog will be okay for my kids since I am TERRIBLE at keeping a journal. Good work, cousin!