Sunday, October 12, 2008

The "Dark Side" of Having a Potty Trained Toddler


I had to laugh when I saw this book titled "Potty Train Your Child in 5 Hours" yeah right! We have spent a lot of time getting Brooklyn potty trained (months) and we're finally 99.9% there! But we've discovered a "dark side" to having a potty trained toddler, it's the called "I need to go pee pee blues." Seriously! I never realized how convenient it was just to have a kid pee in their diaper until the diaper was no longer in the picture. Now, it seems like whenever I sit down and just start to feed Carson, work on a project for work or do something else, I hear the words "I need to go pee pee daddy!" The other night was a prime example of this. I asked Brooklyn if she needed to go potty right before I sat down to feed Carson and her answer was a definite "No!" So, I made the bottle, got him all comfortable and started feeding him. No more than 2 minutes into the bottle I hear the words "I need to go pee pee daddy!" I grimaced, because Carson pulls a Dr. Jekyll / Mr. Hyde routine whenever we have to stop feeding him in the middle of a bottle. But I did anyways. So I had an angry 6 month old in one arm, while I was trying to help Brooklyn get on the potty with the other arm. Not fun! After she was done, I sat back down and started feeding Carson again. 2 minutes into that feeding I hear the words "I need to go poo poo daddy!" So, I had to stop Carson again and experience another angry moment with him, while I helped her go potty. After she was done, I sat down for a third time, and then the phone rang... Dr. Jekyll / Mr. Hyde all over again. I had to laugh, and feel sorry for Carson at the same time, but geesh, a potty trained toddler can add stress! Seriously, the moment I hear the words "I need to go pee pee daddy" I panic because I know that if I don't help her quickly, the house will become her potty! So it's always a mad rush against the clock to get her back to the bathroom, get the pants down and get her on the potty before the dam breaks. Uggggg... seriously, potty training has really made me think that 2 kids may be enough. Don't get me wrong, we're really proud of Brooklyn, and she's doing fantastic, but sometimes, the words "I need to go pee pee daddy" cause more fear than any horror movie I've ever seen.

2 comments:

Strawberry Shortcake said...

Oh dear cousin... I feel you! I hate changing diapers and the stink that comes with them, but they are sometimes so much easier. She will get the hang of it eventually, but right now it is annoying! We finally got Annie potty trained and it is great! Except for when we forget to put the diaper on her at night. Not so great. Kids should just come potty trained, end of story :)

Unknown said...

Where can I get that book, I guess i'm not putting in a very good effort, but I hate potty training, it definetly is the pits, but I guess buying diapers is the to. We have to leave syd naked to get her to go, but you can't do that all the time. I do feel your pain.