As my time in the MTC came down to it's final couple of weeks I got really, really sick. I had mono before I had entered the MTC and I found out while in the MTC that when someone who's had mono gets really fatigued and stressed their mono can become hyper active again, which is what happened to me. During my last couple of weeks I quit eating (I lost 13 pounds!) and was exhausted all of the time. The only thing that kept me going each day was the thought of making it to Switzerland and succeeding in my goal to serve a mission. During my last week in the MTC I was asked to go to the on site doctor because of how sick I was getting and the doctor told me to call my parents and talk to them about going home for a couple of months and then coming back. I didn't call. I knew that if I went home I might not ever come back! I had a testimony, but the MTC had drained so much out of me I wasn't sure I'd be willing to go through it again, so I said a prayer and felt strongly that I had to stay and that the Lord would sustain me if I went to Switzerland. So that's exactly what I did! On April 20th, 1999 my MTC companions and I boarded a plane to Switzerland and headed into the field. I was SOOO EXCITED to finally get the "mission" part of the mission underway.
While I was in the MTC I had really struggled with my German and was extremely nervous that I'd be worthless in the field and wouldn't learn it. Well, the Lord knew exactly what to do to take care of me, he gave me a German as my first companion! Elder Bohm was from Berlin German, and was an AMAZING trainer! His first words to me were (In German) "You are going to be speaking perfect German in 2 weeks, I promise!". Well, it took a little more than 2 weeks, but we talked a lot in German, I always tested new words out with him and he really got my language skills of on the right track. He was the best pure teacher I worked with on my entire mission and I learned more than just language skills from him, I learned how to be humble, patient and how to be a friend. I wouldn't have traded him for any other trainer in the entire mission field. I'm still thankful today that I spent my first few months with Elder Bohm! Here is a journal entry from early on in my time in my first area, Basel, Switzerland:
April 26th, 1999 (Basel, Switzerland):
Today was by far the best day that I've had so far in Switzerland! It was just a fun all around day. My comp Elder Bohm is a Zone Leader which means that as his companion I get a few little perks. Today was one of those perks! I got to go with him to Zurich for Missionsrat (Mission Conference) which is a conference for all of the Zone Leaders and AP's with President Holbrook.
While the Zone Leaders are meeting, their companions (myself included) go on splits and do street contacting in downtown Zurich. I got to go on a split with Elder Richards who was in the MTC for a little while with me. It was sooo much fun! Neither one of us speak the language very well but we tried hard. While contacting we got to do a little sight seeing as well. We did talk a lot with one lady but she didn't want a Book of Mormon. She just didn't seem ready for the gospel. We then went to the ZuriSee (Lake Zurich) and did some contacting while feeding the ducks. We used the ducks as a good in for some good conversations with some awesome Swiss people. As we walked around Zurich we did get lost for a few minutes (we're both still new to the Swiss transportation system) but we managed to find our way back to the Mission Home.
We then had lunch at the mission home with the leadership of the mission including President and Sister Holbrook. Afterwards we had a powerful testimony meeting. After the testimony meeting Elder Bohm and I jumped on a train and headed back to our Basel. Even though it doesn't sound like much today was just a great all around day. The Lord knew I needed a day like this. The Lord knows me really well. I'm starting to understand that more and more daily. Well, tomorrows a busy day with appointments and such, so I better quit writing. Tchuss!
--Elder Q
Here are some pics of the Ward House in Basel and of my 1st apartment. It was the nicest apartment I had on my entire mission:



1 comment:
I am so glad you can share this stuff. I never really kept a journal, but I am sure if I did it wouldn't be anything worth sharing. It would read something like, "Saw the 8,000 guy I have a crush on today. He ignored me. Nothing new." I am so happy yours has substance! Isn't it wonderful that the Lord does know us personally? Love it!
Post a Comment